Email: LaurenNicoleGifts@gmail.com

I have always been passionate about designing and making meaningful gifts and keepsakes and was very fortunate to able to start my own business. Lauren Nicole Gifts (name after my niece) was started in 2004 and was a great way for me to have my own business, but still move around as an Army wife. My husband recently retired from the Army and we are now permanently located in Ouray, Colorado

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Small Business Feature: Jangles




Jennifer Jangles a.k.a. Jennifer Heynen is a ceramic artist and licensed designer. Besides ceramics Jennifer is constantly working on something new. She loves to sew, build, paint, and string beads. She has a studio and craft gallery in Watkinsville, GA where she creates her work that is sold all over the world.



What inspired you to begin your small business and how did you get started? I have been creating for as long as I can remember. It was just something I always knew I would do. I received my BFA in ceramics and had a corporate job designing floral arrangements for hotels, parties, etc. I had a couple of bosses that, let's just say, weren't great. That's when I realized I needed to run my own show. I quit my job, took a part time job and work late night, after late night to get my ceramic tile business up and running. That was fifteen years ago.

Who or what has been your biggest source of support? Definitely my husband. He's the one who told me to quit that first job. Looking back, I can't believe I really quit it. It was a lot of money and insurance I was giving up and it was when he was in grad school. We were pretty broke once I quit. Still today, he listens to me every night ramble on and on about my business. Poor guy, he must really love me.



Is this business something you’ve always dreamed of doing? I think so....that's a hard one. I used to play art shop when I was a child. People would call and tell me what they wanted me to make and I would create it for them. It's very similar to how I used to play. I don't know how much dreaming I did about this business. My business is just me doing what I
love.



How do you strike a balance between your personal life and maintaining a successful small business? The best thing I ever did was move to a separate studio. Before there was no line between work and play. Now I have "time off" even though my time off is
usually spent making something.

Where do you see your small business five years from now? I have had a couple of year of crazy growth with my handmade buttons and fabric designs. Huge changes took place in my business, like moving out of my house, hiring help, etc. I feel like I am finally comfortable with it
all, so I am enjoying the place I am in right now. I can't think about five years from now.



Follow Jennifer Jangles on the Blog, Website and Etsy Shop!

1 comment:

JenniferJangles said...

Thanks for featuring me!

Blog Archive