We had a crazy busy weekend! I had to make an apple pie to bring to a dinner party on Friday. I usually make my own crust, but I was so short on time. I just asked myself "What would Martha do?". Well, I think she would run out and buy Pillsbury pie crust. Of course, she could just buy a whole pie, but that would so not be Martha!! It turned out just fine and I don't think anyone noticed the difference.
Here is my favorite apple pie recipe:
1 box of Pillsbury pie crust (I let it sit on the counter and warm up a little so that it doesn't crack or fall apart from being too cold).
8 Large granny smith apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
2 Tablespoons flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1. Unroll one pie crust and place in a 9" glass pie dish
2. Mix all ingredients together and dump in pie dish
3. Unroll second pie crust, place on top and crimp edges; poke a few holes in the top (if you want to get really crazy you can cut out little designs; Martha would approve!).
4. Bake at 425 degrees for 25 minutes
5. Reduce temperature to 350 degrees and bake for an additional 50 minutes
Whenever I bake a pie I always put the pie on a baking sheet before putting it in the oven so that it doesn't make a mess (I really hate to clean and I don't want to have to break out the Easy-off oven cleaner!)